Laurel is located on Laurel creek near Clothier. In the 1920's it was one of numerous mining camps in the large area from Clothier to Blair Mountain. It had coal producing facilities, as well as railroad service. Laurel creek flowed into Spruce Fork at Clothier. Although the production of coal phased out in the 30's, Laurel hollow had numerous popular spots.
Travelling about a mile up the hollow was the creek swimming hole at the railroad trustle; continuing up the hollow for about three miles, after crossing about five "fords", you arrive at the Logan, Boone and Mingo Counties' Boy Scout Camp facilities; and finally after about 7 miles you arrive at the community of Stark and the White Oak Forest Tower. (That's 7 miles from the scout camp). We considered these locations the "Head" of the hollow.
Sometime in the 1930's, the three-county scout Council acquired the land and built numerous facilities for housing, feeding and tent camping. Living quarters were built for the senior-staff management team. A temporary dam was built to accumulate creek water for scout teaching of various classes in swimming, rowing, canoeing, Jr and Sr life saving and related merit badges. A large mess hall was also built.
The White Oak Forest Tower became a busy place for the scouts because a scout was required to take a 14-mile hike to progress in scouting ranks. Therefore each scout hiked to the fire tower to get the signature of the forest-tower Ranger. There the scout ate his brown-bag lunch and walked back to the scout camp to complete his 14-mile trip.
The scout facility also accommodated the Girl Scout Council requirements, who followed the boy-scout camping period. After the boy/girl scout summer camp, the dam was removed, and the facilities were closed for the next year.
In order to assist in financial help to their employee-parents, the BCCC developed a plan for the boy scouts to clean the creek and creek banks, pile rocks, etc on the banks in neat piles. The creek area covered a long stretch on sides of the Sharples bridge. The work period was about 3 weeks to earn their way to attend summer-scout camp for one week. The BCCC paid camping fee for each Monclo and Sharples scout who did that work.
After BCCC was sold in 1956, the scout Council closed around 1958 the scout camp and built a similar facility known as "Camp Chief Logan" near Chapmansville close to Corridor "G" Highway.